Henning Schnoor wrote:

> I think mimimizing Mozilla's requirements is essential to it's success.

I don't. Why? Because I don't want to live with the consequences of
that. Optimization isn't free--you have to trade some combination of
stability, features, and development time to get it, and that extreme
isn't worthwhile.

That said, I think reducing Mozilla's requirements is essential to its
success.

> As I've stated before, the discussion (among users, not developers)
> about Mozilla primarily focuses on memory usage & speed. Whenever

Memory usage doesn't seem to come up very often. When it does, it's
usually because of the effect it has on speed on certain machines. What
I mostly see people asking for are startup speed, 4.x parity, and bug fixes.

> someone talks about Netscape 6 / Mozilla, the 30MB memory usage is
> mentioned. Also, people say "the only actually *fast* component about
> Netscape 6 is the rendering engine".

On startup, Mozilla/NS6 seems to require about 20MB. If you have the Sun
Java plugin installed, it eats another 10MB or so. Once you start
never see it mentioned outside of SlashDot.

> That said, I think Mozilla is making great progress regarding this.
> Since M18, it has become much better, both speed wise and generally
> (functionality, stability, etc).

Memory usage doesn't seem to be dropping, but speed seems to be
improving in fits and bursts. My #1 request though, is for the bookmark
system and scrolling menus to be finished.

--
http://www.classic-games.com/              http://www.indie-games.com/
"If you torture a ballot long enough, eventually it'll confess."