thought zilla came from godzilla meself...

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Thomas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 07 February 2001 10:27
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Product name for Mailnews

Giovanni Gatti wrote:
> By the way, how come this nice name "Mozilla" for this project? Anyone
> knows the true story from the very beginning?

Well now.

There was once a nice man called Tim, who spun a Web which the world
could share its knowledge on. And people did put their knowledge on it,
and share it, and made hypertext links to each other. And all was cool
and froody.

Then two young fellers by the name of Marc and Eric decided that the Web
should have pretty pictures on it, as well as text. So they wrote a Web
browser called `Mosaic', which could show the Web as a lovely mosaic of
pictures and text and stuff. And people started using pictures on the
Web, and all was cool and froody -- even though it was a bit slow, what
with all the pictures and stuff, since most everyone had a slow connection.

Then along came a man called Jim, who saw the Web, and thought, MONEY!.
So he and Marc had a chat, where they wondered how they could make MONEY
out of the Web. And they came up with the idea of writing a better
Mosaic than Mosaic, and selling it for lots of MONEY. So Jim made a
company, and he called it Netscape. And Marc went and got Jamie, and
Lou, and a bunch of other crazy people, and they made a browser, and
they called it Netscape Mosaic. And all was cool and froody, especially
the `M' throbber.

But then the owners of the original Mosaic said, `Here! You can't use
our name!' And Jim and Marc said, `Fine then, see if we care!', and they
changed the name of Netscape Mosaic to `the Netscape Navigator'. And
they determined that their browser would be the `Mosaic killer' ...

... Or `Moz-illa', for short.

And that's what they called it, except in public, where it was
officially `the Netscape Navigator'. (Later, they stopped putting a
`the' at the start, so it was just `Netscape Navigator'.)

And Jim and Marc (and a few other people) made lots and lots of MONEY.
And all was cool and froody, especially in the last line of the readme
file for Mozilla for Unix -- `And remember, it's spelled
N-e-t-s-c-a-p-e, but it's pronounced "Mozilla."'.

So we've had Mozilla/0.91, Mozilla/0.92, Mozilla/0.93, Mozilla/0.94,
Mozilla/0.95, Mozilla/0.96, Mozilla/1.0, Mozilla/1.1, Mozilla/2.0,
Mozilla/3.0, Mozilla/4.0, Mozilla/4.01, Mozilla/4.02, Mozilla/4.03,
Mozilla/4.04, Mozilla/4.05, Mozilla/4.06, Mozilla/4.5, Mozilla/4.07,
Mozilla/4.08, Mozilla/4.51, Mozilla/4.6, Mozilla/4.61, Mozilla/4.7,
Mozilla/4.71, Mozilla/4.72, Mozilla/4.73, Mozilla/4.74, Mozilla/4.75,
and Mozilla/4.76. (I might have missed a couple of versions there.) And
all was cool and froody, except for <BLINK> and <FRAMESET>, and except
where Mozilla crashed a lot.

And then, in 1998, a crazy man called Eric (not the same Eric as the
other one) convinced the Netscape people to make Mozilla open source.
Very cool. Very froody.

So now we have the Mozilla Project to continue making a browser which
will let people do neat stuff on the Web. And all is cool and froody,
except for those people who have decided to start the numbering at 1.0
again. Silly wabbits.

Followups set.

--
Matthew `mpt' Thomas, Mozilla user interface QA
Mozilla UI decisions made within 48 hours, or the next one is free

This message has been checked for all known viruses, by Star Internet,
delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
For further information visit:
http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp