Olaf Titz wrote:

> > But then the owners of the original Mosaic said, `Here! You can't use
> > our name!' And Jim and Marc said, `Fine then, see if we care!', and they
> > changed the name of Netscape Mosaic to `the Netscape Navigator'. And
> > they determined that their browser would be the `Mosaic killer' ...
> >
> > ... Or `Moz-illa', for short.
>
> I think the name Mozilla comes from Godzilla, whom its (semi?)official
> mascot resembles.

I've heard the Mosaic Killer version from @netscape.com email addresses.
I'd be surprised if they didn't have Godzilla in mind when they chose
the way the words would be combined, though (otherwise why not Mosiller
or Mosailler? Especially considering that (unless you're British or from
Boston (aren't nested parentheses great?)) the suffixes "-a" and "-er"
are pronounced distinctly differently...)

Stuart.