In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Asa Dotzler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Braden McDaniel wrote:
>

> <snip>
>
>> See, Bugzilla has this voting system, where users can vote on what bugs
>> they think are important. Problem is, you only get to cast five votes
>> per product.
>
> 10 votes per component actually.

No kidding. How long has that been the case?

> I see that you have Resolved 10 bugs as Duplicates
>
><http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?&field0-0-0=resolution&type0-0-0=changedto&value0-0-0=duplicate&field0-1-0=resolution&type0-1-0=changedby&value0-1-0=braden%40endoframe.com>
> Were you already familiar with the originals or did you have to  spend
> time querying for them?

I was already familiar with the originals.

>  The reason I ask is that there are  over 16,000
> duplicates in the system (I've resolved around 500 of them).   Resolving
> a duplicate or two is indeed a trivial task, especially  if you are
> already familiar with the original report.  However,  resolving many
> thousands of duplicate reports is not a trivial  task.  Neither is
> verifying the resolved duplicate reports.  And  it's also a non-trivial
> task looking at all those duplicates and  testing against them when
> trying to verify fixed bugs (which is  almost always done on 3 different
> platforms).  By suggesting that  folks intentionally file duplicates you
> are doing a great disservice  to all the folks who spend many hours
> resolving duplicate reports.   Many of these people are volunteers who
> spend huge amounts of time  resolving and verifying bugs in addition to
> trying to find ways to  cut down on the amount of duplicates filed in
> the first place.

Shoot the messenger, why don't you?

Asa, I really don't think I could have labelled my posting as sarcasm any
more clearly. Do you *really* think that people who want to subvert and
abuse the system need me to tell them how to do it? C'mon.

Don't try to make me the scapegoat here. There is a problem with the
system: it is configured such that issues are "rewarded" for being
duplicated. That reward inevitably comes at the expense of other issues.
What I'm proposing would be a leveller. I don't know if it would cut down
on the number of duplicate reports; but it stops specifically rewarding
them, and that couldn't hurt.

--
Braden McDaniel                 It is hard to know if nothing is /
http://endoframe.com            actually nothing