Bob wrote:

> I've tried installing Mozilla .8 several times in Win98 and
> it appears to install fine but when I try to run it, all that
> comes up is the splash screen and there it hangs.  I've down-
> loaded the installer twice and the zip file once and have
> had the same results each time.
>
> I'm probably missing something obvious but if someone could
> point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
>
> Netscape 6 worked fine and then I tried 6.01 which didn't
> work so I thought I'd try Mozilla because of how well it
> works for me on Linux but no luck so far.

The fact that 6.01 doesn't work for you either is perhaps a clue. Do you
only have one profile? Perhaps it got corrupted. Try creating a new profile
with "mozilla -ProfileManager" and see if that works -- if so we can start
figuring out the problem in your old profile.

One problem that cropped up in the 6.0->6.01 upgrade (especially if on Win9x
and upgrading using the SmartUpdate site) is corruption in some of the
registry files. Try deleting "Xpcs Registry.dat" and "component.reg" and see
if 6.01 will start up.

the .performance group is wrong for this, setting followups to the .general
group.

-Dan Veditz