Hi,

on my site I have a kindof replacement for the TEXTAREA tag in forms.
When it's used, a rich-editing region is displayed if the client is
Internet Explorer 4 or higher, and a regular TEXTAREA is used if it's
any other client.  Check out the following to see what I mean:

        http://www.aspforums.com/ASPScriptComponents/ASPRichEdit/demo/

In many ways I suppose it's similar to Steal This Page
(http://standardbrains.editthispage.com/).

Now, I don't like the idea of it being specific to Internet Explorer.
I'd far rather it worked with all browsers.  Now, that's just not going
to happen (DHTML standards being what they are), but at the very least
I'd like to get similar functionality for Mozilla.  The problem is I
don't even know if this is possible.

At the minute all the editing is done through an editable IFRAME which
is manipulated through the IE DOM.  Since this is all generated by a
server-side component, I can quite happily output completely different
code for Mozilla users.  It's just a matter of finding out what to send
to the client.

I have done some digging, and while Mozilla does indeed have editable
regions and IFRAMEs, it looks to me (and to the testing I've done) like
this can only be done through XUL.  From my knowledge of XUL, that would
mean that it's not possible to embed that on a regular HTML page.
(Since it's a server-side component, I don't have any control over what
else is on the page. Similarly I can't rely on plug-ins being present or
separate downloads of any kind.)

So, are there any clues or pointers out there of how this can be
achieved?  Or even a definitive "No this is not possible in this version
of Mozilla"?  Either way, thanks for your help.

                        aspf