On Sun, 4 Mar 2001 17:49:32 -0800, "Garth Wallace"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Chris Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sat, 3 Mar 2001 22:14:36 -0800, "Garth Wallace"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >No to all three. An OBJECT with type text/html is essentially
>> >the same as an IFRAME...it just displays an HTML document.
>> >What the spec means by submitting data through an OBJECT
>> >is that, if the OBJECT refers to a plugin or applet that can do
>> >so, the OBJECT's output is sent as part of the form data. As
>> >far as I can tell, the HTML 4.1 specification gives no information
>> >on how to specify that an OBJECT be used as a form control.
>>
>> I forgot that there are special rules for html OBJECTs.  It seem to me
>> that the HTML 4.01 spec means that any object inside a form is a
>> potentially a form control (17.2.1 object controls).
>
>"Potentially" is not necessarily the same as "is".

Any object which cannot provide a value is obviously not a successful
control as far as form submission goes.

>>  The presence of
>> a name attribute would be enough indication that the object is
>> intended to be a control.
>
>The presence of a NAME attribute is an indication that
>the element has a name, nothing more. Names are used
>in styling and scripting.

Isn't that the id attribute?  The name attribute for OBJECT is
commented as "submit as part of form" in the DTD and is clearly
intended for form submission in several parts of the spec.  And even
with a name used as an id, a object still must be able to supply a
value to be successful.

Chris Hill
[EMAIL PROTECTED]