multipart/meowbot wrote:

>Yeah, the multipart/alternative approach is kind of icky for this
>application.  If a client has enough MIME smarts to extract the text
>part from such a message, chances aren't bad that it has the means to
>display the HTML in a reasonable way too.

Good point, and now that you mention it, I can't think of many
reasonably current mail clients that _wouldn't_ handle it appropriately.

>Plus, multipart/alternative
>doesn't deliver on the hope that it would appease those who would have
>mail and news remain plaintext-only media forever (it just makes
>curmudgeons angrier about the increased size),

ROTFL!  Yes, again, you're probably right.  Now, not only will they hate
me for sending HTML formatted messages, but I'll fire them up for
sending messages of nearly twice the size as well!

>so if you want to use
>HTML in some messages, might as well use HTML only and be done with
>it.

That sounds reasonable, with the exception of newsgroup postings.  I'll
most likely adjust my preferences to post plain text, but send e-mail in
HTML.

>Understandable.  I'd wonder, though, if a traditional appended
>signature file even makes the most sense for HTML.  The
>template/stationery approach would seem to be a better fit.

Possibly.  Different templates would replace the different signature
files for personalization.

>It depends very much on the newsgroup.  Lots of news servers actually
>filter out HTML-formatted news articles unless they are posted in
>specific hierarchies like here and microsoft.*, so for now you're best
>off sticking to plain text in newsgroups (binary groups are handled
>quite differently, of course).

Will do - many thanks for the reply!

Mark

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
web: http://www.marksmitka.com