Adam James Fitzpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> And often enough the poster hasn't written anything that actually
> *requires* HTML markup - it's just plain text anyway.

I even see some posters go to great lengths to make their HTML look
like plain text, including monospaced type and 80-column lines (no,
not <pre>, but an incredible simulation).

OTOH, I've seen a few times where HTML actually did improve the
presentation.  These have all been longish, dense text -- the examples
I recall have all been CFPs, abstracts or legal notices.  For
discussion groups, the composition software tends to toss in way too
many gratuiutous elements.

One feature that would actually offer an improvement over the current
quoting and references scheme is <blockquote cite=...> (and the <q>
version), except that no mainstream browsers seem to actually bother
interpreting the cite attribute.