In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Gervase Markham wrote:
>> and cynical suggestions:
>> - "...go through the 31,074 Fixed bugs..." (as a non-programmer who
>> cannot even estimate if a bug might be easy2fix)
>
> This is not a cynical suggestion; it's a very good suggestion and I, for
> one, would like to see it implemented. Obviously, you wouldn't need to
> go through all 31 thousand bugs to find some useful examples for new
> people.

Going through patched bugs and seeing what people changed, why, and how,
is also a good way to understand the algorithms used in the section of
code that interests you.  If you can explain what's wrong with the
algorithm and what should be done to fix it, it makes it that much easier
for someone else to produce code to fix the bug.

--
Chris Hoess