Henri Sivonen wrote:

>>>It isn't. They probaly just think that Mozilla/5.0 == Netscape 6.
>>>

>>How can "they" believe that Mozilla equals NS 6 unless the browser,
>>Mozilla 0.9.3, identifies itself as such?
>>

> The UA string of Mozilla looks like this:
> Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; rv:0.9.3+) Gecko/20010815
>
> The UA string of Netscape 6.0 looks like this:
> Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; N; PPC; en-US; m18) Gecko/20001108 Netscape6/6.0
>

>>Could it be that there are
>>filters applied on these servers where an equal sign is set between
>>Netscape and Mozilla, blocking certain "offspring" browser versions,
>>which apparently also affects "the original"?
>>

> The server is probably checking for the substring "Mozilla/5.0" and not
> the string "Netscape6/6.0".

If this is the case, then the problem could be solved easily, IMHO.
Substitute the "5.0" with "6.1" or whatever in "Mozilla/5.0" as there
seem to be a confusion with the similar identification of Netscape. By
doing this there would not be any formal connection between Mozilla and
  Netscape.

>>An other solution would be that Mozilla took the time and resources to
>>inform these sites that Mozilla has no connections with NS versions why
>>their blocking of Mozilla, starting from 0.9.x onwards, are unjustified.
>>Unrealistic solution, isn't it?
>>

> Not necessarily. Please file a bug in the "Tech Evangelism" product and
> email the bank.

I will try but I don't expect too much of a Bank when it comes to
non-core business, especially if there are only some of us using an
"odd" browser :-). I guess I'll have to stick to the old solution;
browsing with Mozilla, doing business with Netscape. IE I don't touch.

Thanks for your input, Henri ja saa nahda voitko auttaa tulevaisuudessakin.

--
cheers
jukola