JTK wrote:

>Oh God, do NOT install that thing.  It wants to steal every godforsaken
>file association the Real programmers have ever heard of for itself.
>Not unprecedented you ask?  Get this:  it runs a process in the
>background (REALLY in the background, no tray icon or anything, must be
>a service on Why2K/XP) so that when you change it to the way you want it
>- THIS THING WILL STEAL THEM BACK.  AND IT GIVES YOU NO CHOICE, it just
>tells you, "I'm stealing 'em back, tough break sucker", no cancel
>option, nothing.  I shit you not.
>
>Does anybody know of some way to get away from the outrage that is the
>RealPrivacyInvaderAndAssociationStealer Company?  Every damn video you
>see is .rm, and the ones that aren't are "Windows Media" and are about
>half the quality.  Are there *ANY* free or even pay RealMedia players
>around that don't invade your privacy, steal your associations, etc etc
>etc?
>
>Shawn Neumann wrote:
>
>>I read somewhere recently that Real was deciding between Opera and
>>Mozilla for it's embedded browser on it's upcoming RealOne platform.
>>Anyone heard anything on this?  I would be very interested to know how
>>this one is going to pan out...
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Shawn

RealOne is a very neat app.  It's a good take on a media player as far
as I'm concerned, and I would love to see where it goes in the future.

Right now they are using the IE Embedded engine (might change, RealOne
is still beta).

Preferences: Tools>Preferences...
Select Media Types on the left side.  Uncheck anything you don't want it
to take over.  The only difference here and in WMP is that WMP groups
together the files it can work with; RealOne makes them all individual
entries (meaning WMP says "MPEG Video" and RealOne goes by each
individual extension MPG MPEG etc.).

That hidden process really is hidden.  But ZA Pro found it under this
name: RealNetworks Dynamic App Launcher.  Now, I believe to disable it
you go to Connection>Internet Settings>Only perform automatic services
when RealOne is in use.  I don't know if this is it, but I think it is.
 Consider it the old tray icon of RP8 made harder to find.

Aside from those things I think RealOne really is a neat little player.
 And it does actually install a plugin into Netscape/Moz, but I haven't
checked to see if it works.

--
Albert

"We must have a better word than 'prefabricated'. Why not 'ready-made'?"
--Winston Churchill

If sending email, remove the obvious spam-preventer from my email address.