Sören Kuklau wrote:
> On 3/24/2002 10:28 PM, Garth Wallace apparently wrote exactly the
> following:
>
>> Because that sounds like it should be a garden (as in, a place filled
>> with plants tended by people) for children, whereas in English
>> "kindergarten" means the first grade of school (coming the year before
>> "first grade").
>
> Umm well, but "Kinder" means "children" and "Garten" means "garden"...

Right, but "kinder" and "garten" are not words in English--that is,
while the compound "kindergarten" was borrowed, its components were not.
  So it's a single unit in English. A German might hear "kindergarten"
and think "child's garden", but an English-speaker wouldn't hear the
component terms and would just think of kindergarten the word in
English, which means the first year of school (in America anyway; the
British have a bizarre school system that I don't pretend to understand).