American English, is difficult to learn as well. I know I magle it all
the time.

There are words that are not spelled anything like they are pronounced.
There are words that are spelled the same but depending upon whether it
used a a verb, noun, preposition or the like is pronounced toally
different. there are words that are spelled the same and have two or
three different meanings.

example Case as a noun means a form of container

while Case as verb means to look around an area.

And we do have at least one very long word (that's not used often):

antidisestablishmentaryism

which means the belief in not tearing down builds usually churches.

Morten Nilsen wrote:

> Garth Wallace wrote:
> > Wasn't talking about words English has borrowed from German or
> > vice-versa. Japanese has plenty of loanwords (from English mainly, but
> > also from German and other Western languages), but the native words are
> > totally unrelated and familiarity with any Western language will not
> > help you learn them. There's no way to predict which Western concepts
> > would be expressed in Japanese with a loanword or by building from
> > Japanese roots: for instance, "bicycle" in Japanese is "jitensha", but
> > "bus" is "basu". "Building", which you'd think Japanese would have a
> > term for, is merely "biru" (shortened from "birudingu"; not to be
> > confused with "biiru" with a long i, which is beer).
> >

> Another example (ref Gundam X); Satelito System
>
> Anime rocks!
> --
> Morten Nilsen, aka Dr. P
>
> We are the borg^]dbdbiMicrosoft.
> Prepare to be assimilated^]dbiembraced and extended.
> Resistance is futile^]dbdbdbiWe know you want it.
> :wq

Phillip M. Jones, CET      |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street         |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112-1809 |[EMAIL PROTECTED], ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/america/default.htm>
<http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/message/default.htm>