Peter Gutmann wrote:

I've had several pieces of mail asking for clarification of my original
statement about Verisign, here's how to see this yourself:

1. Disable SSLv2 in your browser (i.e. take it to the state that it should
   have been shipped in in the first place).

Right. Perhaps we should file a bug?

2. Go to https://www.networksolutions.com/

With Mozilla I get an error to say that I can't connect because SSLv2 is
disabled.  With MSIE it just hangs forever trying to connect, with no
indication of what's wrong ("Thank Bill kids.  Thaaaaanks, Bill").  I can't
remember any more which banking sites had problems with the same thing, it was
last year some time, but the Verisign/NS issue is fairly well known (at least
among SSL'ers) and they don't seem interested in fixing it.

Well, if they are not interested in fixing it,
maybe it's time to realise that Verisign does
what it wants and everyone else doesn't matter.
Meanwhile, we can't use virtual SSL domains.
Thanks Verisign, the fact that market expansion
isn't in your interest has not escaped our
attention ....

Here's what I suggest:  Mozilla announces that
as of X date/distro the default will be to switch
off SSL v2.  It can still be enabled manually for
those sites that are stuck in the dark ages,
but gee, we could also add a popup warning for
those sites too, if we're serious about things.

Next, name these sites.  Put up a warning that
certain known sites still limit to SSL v2 and
that this is an old, outdated protocol with
old outdated bugs and users should be more than
normally careful.  Tell users to file a bug with
those sites.

List them.  Ask securityspace and netcraft to
start publishing stats on who is still using
only SSLv2.

iang