On 6/18/05, Heikki Toivonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tyler Close wrote:
> > On 6/18/05, Heikki Toivonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>Current SSL system generally requires no input from user (exceptions are
> >>when some problem with the certificate the server presents).
> >
> > The above statement is incorrect and is a primary factor underlying
> > the current phishing problem. The current SSL UI requires substantial
> > user input on every site visit. To be safe, the user must verify that
>
> Maybe you weren't paying attention, or maybe the word input is not as
> precise as I thought it is. I said *input* -  meaning the user must
> enter some data to the system.

Ah, I see. So if we demand users memorize and verify identification
credentials, instead of providing the user with a way of writing down
a reminder note, we have reduced the user's "input" to the system.
According to you, this is a desireable outcome, and all dissenting
solutions should be disqualified.

I find your classification of typing as "input", but detailed
cross-checking before proceeding as not "input" arbitrary and grossly
misleading. Do you have a user study, argument, or anything at all to
back up your belief that users find memorization and detailed
cross-checking easier than typing?

> The SSL system is not always easy to use, like you noted,

No, the current SSL UI is *never* easy to use. I challenge you to
provide even a single counter-example.

Tyler

--
The web-calculus is the union of REST and capability-based security:
http://www.waterken.com/dev/Web/