> I use CDex including Lame 3.58, BUT only at 320 bitrate,
> to get the best quality.
>                Which are the right options ?
> VBR=0    ?   stereo mode  ? ......

Best quality is PCM at ~1400kb/s  :) .  Using 320kb/s which is only 4:1
compression, you may as well use ADPCM format which takes almost zero time to
encode and is built-in to most operating systems.  Tell me, if there was a
640kb/s would you use it?  MP2 produces argueably better sound quality than
MP3 over 256kb/s.

To answer your question, CBR at 320kb/s would produce the best quality you
can from MP3.  VBR=0 theoretically should produce the same result with a
smaller filesize but due to flaws in the psychoacoustic model, the encoder
may select a lower than ideal bitrate in some circumstances.

Ross.