> Is it a better choice to encode the CD on CBR 192 kbps?

to ensure quality you can use -b switch(minimum bitrate).
Something like -B320 -b160 -V3 -ms -k -h gives 180-200kbps avg with Lame3.61 and I
didn't noticed any flaws (except fatboy.wav :-/ ).

If there is silence in wav, bitrate falls to 32kbps even with -b320 so it isn't
wasting space.

> BTW I 've never seen a histogram in VBR mode, with the windows
> version,
> without using the the --nohist option.

Download 'mp3splitter' (it's for win32) from http://macik.homepage.com, hit statistics
button and you'll see the histogram (select 'detailed to file...' and you'll see br.
increase for every cymbal).

macik
(eof)