> Howdy,
>
> I tried to search through all the messages related to this topic, but I
> couldn't find any that addressed the speed issue.  Trying VBR using the
> lastest 3.8 CVS source, VBR is still slower than CBR.  Is this still a
> future improvement, or do I need to set an option?
>
> mark stephens

In the 3.80 CVS versions, you can enable it with -Y if you want to try it
(or download Takehiro's snapshot) but in lame it is still very
unstable and not quite as fast as VBR.  It uses Robert's latest
VBR tunings, some dubious improvements of my own, and does not
yet have Takehiro's optimizations.

Mark