Hello Robert,

>> In order to get the (much) higher --nspsytune filesizes down, I used
>> "--athlower -21" (or -20->-23) to compensate. [seems to go negative
>> :)]

RH> I'm sorry to say, but in my opinion it is a really bad idea to lower the file
RH> size with that --athlower switch, you are tweaking at the wrong place here.

it was just to test, as mentioned, I did an extra test with the -V4 VS the old -V1,
without the use of --athlower.  The findings are the same.  JS quality
is not good at all. (in any case)

>> Seems logical to me to compare quality of vbr files only if they have
>> some comparable size.

RH> Sloppy speaking, the idea of Naoki's psy tuning is to increase the filesize
RH> where GPSYCHO currently seems to fail, on tunes like vbrtest.wav.

so this produces files averaging > 270kbit/s (-V1 -q1), that sounds very
poor and >230kbit/s average (-V4) sounding equally poor.

While my older 220kbit/s V1 file sounded perfect?

RH> My observation on a song from the artist formerly known as Prince:
RH> - the old VBR code makes it at an average of 130 kbits with -V4, sounds OK
RH> - turning on Naoki's psy tunings: it grew on 196 kbits, nearly 50% larger!

I found it to do the same + introduce noise.

RH> I haven't spent much time at his tunings, but I fear that it always says
RH> the sound is tonal, even if it's more noise like.

I spent a whole afternoon (7 hours) trying and not 1 file I tried sounds better in any
way.

- JS files -> suffer big Q losses
- S files -> seem ok

--
Best regards,
 Roel                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]