> Should I start implementing this now, or wait after 3.87 release?

Hi CISC,

3.87 was released last night.  It's mostly just to have a
last release before the code re-orginization that Takehiro
is going to do this week.  That will involve splitting
the C code into a frontend and library directory.
So it would be good if we could hold off on all commits
until this is done.

> What needs to be changed to make a real shared library:
>
> o Exchange all direct access to lame_global_flags in parse.c with calls to
>   lame_set_xxx().
>
> o main.c can't hold lame_global_flags, change lame_init() to allocate and
>   return a pointer to lame_global_flags.
>
> o Move lame_global_flags out of lame.h, it should never be accessed externally.
>
> o ..and any other changes still needed for re-entrance ofcos.

I think we have to keep the old interface, since several applications
use it.  So lame_global_flags will still have to be instantiated by the
calling program and exposed to the calling program.  I dont think this
is incompatiable with a shared library?

Mark