Alexander wrote:

"scale-l" and "scale-r" do the same thing as "scale" does, the only
difference is: they do it for one channel only. Your "--scale 0.98
--scale-r 1.1 --scale-l 1.1" has the same effect as "--scale 1.078".

I haven't looked at the other options more closely, since the result may
change from lame version to lame version, e.g. -q2 in lame 3.93 is -q3
in lame 3.94.

You also haven't explained why those settings are better than e.g.
"--preset standard" or "--preset extreme". And you haven't told us how
you did the tests, what samples you used, ...

Bye,
Alexander.

--
                    I'm available to get hired.

Hi Alexander

I'm not an expert in working with encoders
so i started to do some work to find out what could be
the best options to make a good mp3 with Lame
This is the way i went:
i made comparisons on three computers with diferent sound cards,
i ripped hundreds diferent samples from 30 cd's (old cd's, new cd's
plus diferent genres and styles) (my cd collection has 455 cd's),
i encoded the same file as many time as nedded.
Every time i encoded one file, i used diferent options
and i made comparisons listening carefully on every computer,
i was picking up usefull options and dropping those i didn't like
finally i started to work with values and diferent positions for the options.
Thats how i got this:
lame -q0 -X6 -ms -d --lowpass 20.05 --cwlimit 11.025 -Z --scale 0.98 --scale-r 1.1 --scale-l 1.1 --ns-sfb21 2 --nspsytune -v -V0 --vbr-rh --abr 172

I know that the "--scale" equals to "--scale-r" + "--scale-l" but they do separate left and right also while usin "-d" and "-ms" (it didn't work the same way with only "--scale")
"--scale" might be for "-Z" and "--ns-sfb21". They all work better together.

Good reasons to add this settings as a preset are:
produce high fidelity stereo sound,
produce small files compared to the quality of the sound,
produce ABR that can be used for streaming instead of VBR ( vbr sometimes too big)
with ABR, the files don't get to big when the encoder decides to use more bitrate,
"--abr 172" is the best for the ATH while working with ABR (i worked around with <160 and >192 and didn't like it)
This is a lot better than "--preset 172"
in my opinion this is better than "--r3mix",

so Why not go to "--Z3n3n"?

Thanks in advance

Zenen Cruz
[EMAIL PROTECTED]