On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 00:22, Takehiro Tominaga wrote:
> LAME4 experimentaly supports the "preserve TAGS when transcoding/encoding"
> but it is experimental feature.
>
> I don't know this feature will be imported to LAME3.x. IMHO, it will reduce
> the stability of LAME and is not good to do so.

Thanks for that, though the answer is not good news for me given that I
now will have to re-rip all the tracks I have at high quality mp3.  I
had hoped not to have to do this, even though I know that going from
lossy, high-quality mp3 to lower quality mp3 will give poor results.
The in-car mp3 player I have gives no choice because it only accepts
mp3.

Why do you think an encoder that preserves the ID3 tags when
downsampling mp3 (or even downsampling from ogg or wav to mp3, etc)
gives a problem with encoder stability?  I know little, but imagined
that it would involve only preserving the start/part of the file where
the ID3 is stored?

Regards, Gavin.