On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 20:52, Takehiro Tominaga wrote:
> From: Gavin Chester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [mp3encoder] mp3 downsampling
> Date: 29 Dec 2004 16:36:25 +0800
>
> > Why do you think an encoder that preserves the ID3 tags when
> > downsampling mp3 (or even down from ogg or wav to mp3, etc)
> > gives a problem with encoder stability?  I know little, but imagined
> > that it would involve only preserving the start/part of the file where
> > the ID3 is stored?
>
> It needs file io and seek. If the input/output is non-seekable file,
> we need some error handling, which is likely to be buggy.
>
> ID3 tags may be 2^31 byte. Handling such large data may lead a bug.
>
> And, there're these bugs in LAME4.
>

> If you think it is easy, why don't you write it yourself and send us
> a patch :) ? We always welcome such contribution.

Sorry you took offense at my follow-up question.  I didn't presume it
was easy I just asked "why?".  As for contributing a patch, I said in my
last post, "I know little".  I guess I will just have to re-rip (rather
than downsample, the 100 or so CDs I want on disk if I want smaller
files _and_ ID3 tags. Seems that I can't have both without doing that.
Groan :^(

Regards, Gavin.