On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 21:04:24 +0100, Jörg Krause wrote:
> I wouldn't say that macros are basically evil. They are used heavily in
> embedded systems.

This usage of macros is an overly pessimistic, premature optimization
which basically assumes you've got the dumbest compiler ever which can't
even inline a single "return expr;" statement. And premature
optimization *is* quite evil (maybe not quite the root of all of it, but
is sure does cause a lot of pain).

> And you can do some nice things like stringification.

Well, that's one thing that macros can do that C can't, so I can see a
use case there, but this is not one of those instances.

--Ben