I've been doing some thinking about licensing and what I personally
really care about.

I realise there are only four things that really matter to me:

1) That my copyright notice be maintained.
2) That any offer to redistribute in binary form is accompanied by an
equal offer to redistribute in source form (the code should always be
open in the academic sense - open for study, open for verification).
3) That redistribution of the code in binary or source form as part of
any closed source packages is prohibited without my explicit written
permission.
4) Redistribution with modification is allowed (subject to terms 1-3).

(Just to clarify, I'm not hereby relicensing any of my previously
written code with the above conditions, I'm merely thinking about
finding a license of that kind for my future work.)

Does anyone know of a license similar to that?

It's more permissive than the GPL as commercial use is permitted as
long as I have given explicit permission. It would also get right
around the whole v2/v3 and LGPL/GPL debates.

The interesting thing is, were I to contribute code to eMPIRe under
such a license the overall license would be more permissive than GPL
and less permissive than LGPL.

This would obviate the need for having two different versions of
eMPIRe.

Does anyone have any comments on this? Am I missing something
important?

Bill.