Yes you are right. Of course for a project like MPIR it would have to
be something like B. We'd have to have a well defined "MPIR Group"
which would be allowed to make decisions about commercial use. This
group could consist of the current active developers (and all
interested past contributors) who did not simply license their
contributions LGPL.

All contributors who did not just use LGPL would have to agree to
allow the MPIR Group to make a decision about commercial licensing
when contributing their code.

Obviously the MPIR Group would have to have some kind of well-defined
voting procedure to decide when to allow commercial use.

Anyhow, as William Stein has noted, this isn't practical for now. For
the time being all contributions are under D. But it is an interesting
question.

It's interesting to know that QT made this work! I wonder what was
peculiar about their situation which mandated it!?

Bill.