What Jason is saying (I think) is that currently xgcd (not gcd)
doesn't use Moller's patches as such. It will in future, but not at
the moment. So whatever guarantees you had before, you still have now.
But that will soon change.

The other issue here is that there are multiple algorithms here and it
is quite likely that very small examples will use the basic xgcd which
may well guarantee minimality. Only if you have say hundreds of
thousands of bits will the algorithm used not return minimally
guaranteed results. I'm sure when the time comes we can give some
explicit million digit integers for which minimality is not
guaranteed.

Bill.