I checked through the code quickly and indeed mpz_gcdext calls
mpn_gcdext which simply implements the Lehmer algorithm (and some
optimisations for one and to limb divisions).

I'll do some work on the gcd and xgcd code for the next release. At
the present time I'm working on something different.

Bill.