On Jan 13, 2:38 am, ja...@njkfrudils.plus.com wrote:
> > > The other issue here is that there are multiple algorithms here and it
> > > is quite likely that very small examples will use the basic xgcd which
> > > may well guarantee minimality. Only if you have say hundreds of
> > > thousands of bits will the algorithm used not return minimally
> > > guaranteed results. I'm sure when the time comes we can give some
> > > explicit million digit integers for which minimality is not
> > > guaranteed.
>
> The non-minimal examples could be dependant on tuning parameters that select
> between different algorithms, making this sort testing impratical.

That's painful.

One of the great selling points for MPFR is that it always gives the
exact same answers on all platforms; it would be sad if MPIR doesn't
provide the same guarantees.

How much speed difference are we talking about?  IMHO, I would accept
a few percent slowdown for huge GCDs on some platforms to get
portable, identical results cross-platform in Sage.  (Of course, it's
not my decision to make.)

Carl