On Jan 18, 6:46 pm, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> Ouch, that sounds painful!!

Well, it was mostly bloody since I was a couple kilometers away from
clean water or some kind of tissue to apply pressure to stop the
bleeding. The ice I slipped on was rather red. I have photos of the
hand, but I won't post them around here since that would be way OT :)

> If it is any consolation, I hurt my knee
> after attempting a move called a cork. I came close .... too close
> .... to the ground .... then thwack. It'll recover, but it is a bit
> sore.

My knee got whacked, too, but in my case it was pure dumbness of
venturing outside into the big blue room.

> For extended GCD there is a description of an algorithm on page 464 of
> Crandall and Pomerance "Primes: a computational perspective" due to
> Penk which outlines how to get a binary extended GCD algorithm. In
> Stehle and Zimmermann's paper there is a description of an
> asymptotically fast binary recursive GCD algorithm. There's also a
> paper of Cesari 1998 on the same topic.

Thanks for the references.

> Basically we can do a similar sort of thing for Moller's ngcd
> function. It's relatively straightforward - should be only about half
> a page of code. Might make a nice project for someone. I originally
> volunteered to do it, but at present haven't found time to get it
> done.

Ok. Hopefully someone will attach this problem soon. I don't think
this will have too much of an impact on most people's code and the
benefit of having eMPIRe in for the cost of a slower xgcd is well
worth it.

Given the rather disruptive work on --enable-fat I am curious what the
timeframe for the official release will look like? I have no problem
shipping a more current svn revision since it is trivial to do wide
testing and I assume if we do not use --enable-fat in Sage the code in
question does not impact stability/compilation. Once the K10 code is
in I have thought of using --enable-fat per default in Sage on x86
based CPUs, especially since I have thought about making an SSE2
binary of Sage since the Sage binaries build on boxen required SSE3 or
more.

Anyway, it is a pleasure watching the ongoing discussion about fixing
technical problems in the open on mpir-devel, so keep up the great
work :)

> Bill.

Cheers,

Michael