Someone with access to the machine is going to have to give me more clues.

How does it know that it is an invalid cpu subtype? Does GMP produce
differently named binaries?

Were there any warnings during configure or make?

Are G5 and G4 cpus compatible? Isn't G5 64 bits?

Has anyone tried building a binary for the G4 with the right host=
option to configure?

Bill.