On Mar 16, 10:00 am, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Someone with access to the machine is going to have to give me more clues.

This is a Sage build on varro (a G5), but it is being run on a G4
laptop we do not have access to.

> How does it know that it is an invalid cpu subtype?

I do not know, but I have never seen this error message before.

> Does GMP produce differently named binaries?

No. GMP might set different march and mcpu values, but AFAIK no other
changes besides the switch from GMP to MPIR was made, i.e. it is the
same XCode, etc.

> Were there any warnings during configure or make?

I will have to look.

> Are G5 and G4 cpus compatible?

Binaries using the G4 instruction set build on a G5 should run on the
G4. THe G5 has additional SIMD instructions over the G4, but those are
not used in GMP or MPIR.

> Isn't G5 64 bits?

Yes, but the binary we build is 32 bit.

> Has anyone tried building a binary for the G4 with the right host=
> option to configure?

Not that I know of. At some point in the past the binaries from varro
worked on G4 laptops. I am not 100% sure the issue reported here
popped up right at the GMP->MPIR switch in Sage, but it looks like too
much of a coincidence.

> Bill.

I will build GMP.spkg and MPIR.spkg on that box and see if anything
pops out in the log.

Cheers,

Michael