One thing we could do is remove support for chips with a "rolling
wall". If the manufacturing date for that architecture is more than
10, 15 or 20 years ago, say, we could remove support for it.

Funnily enough, this may not cut much out. The Intel 80386 for example
ceased to be made in September 2007!! Perhaps if we take the 21 years
of manufacture for this CPU as a benchmark, that would mean we cut out
any CPU's which were first manufactured 21 years or more ago, i.e.
before March 1988.

Often military, aerospace and embedded applications see the lifespans
of chips hyperextended.

Perhaps, given that MPIR will still run on them, with C support only,
we can afford to have a more recent wall, say 15 years ago. That would
cut out all 80486's, some pentiums, but not pentium pros, etc.

Bill.