Thanks Jeff. This now agrees with what I am getting.

My guess is that we used a different autoconf to build the latest RC
and that deals correctly with Cygwin.

We'll keep an eye on this in future releases. I can check that Cygwin
works on my machine, for example.

Your config.guess script is correct.

I also told you the wrong thing to type for the linker. I meant

ld -v

On my system it returns:

GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.18.50.20080625

Assuming it returns the same on yours, then I'm pretty sure that is
not the cause of the trouble you originally reported.

I'll consider this ticket fixed now. Thanks again for your report.

Bill.