That's interesting. My Cygwin uses (gcc -v):

gcc version 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)

It looks like it was installed November 2007, so about 18 months old.
I've not done anything special to it, such as installing gcc version
4.

I may have installed development headers of some kind, I don't recall.
It's also possible that the issue only occurs on some hardware. My
hardware detects as k7 (though it is actually a Turion 64 running in
32 bit mode).

Do I recall correctly that you have a Core 2, Jeff?

Can we also compare assembler versions (as -v). I have:

GNU assembler version 2.17.50 (i686-pc-cygwin) using BFD version
2.17.50 20060817

Bill.