Actually it was released before we released - we knew it was coming,
hence the MPIR 1.1 release. I had assumed that jernej's question was
in relation to the GMP 4.3.0 release.

Obviously some of us have spent some time off list analysing their
release.

There's a lot of specific improvements in GMP that show up in the
benchmarks (and some that don't):

* An improved FFT
* Many assembly improvements for Core 2, Atom, AMD 64, Pentium 4
* Toom 4 and unbalanced variants
* Divide and conquer division and the so-called "misunderstanding
algorithm"
* Fast GCD and XGCD
* Faster 1 and 2 limb division
* redc basecase
* exact division by certain constants
* other things

We've targeted slightly different things in MPIR so far:

* Assembly improvements for Core 2, i7, K8, K10, Pentium 4
* Better MIPS support
* Better CPU detection code, especially for x86_64
* Toom 4 and Toom 7 (balanced only)
* Fast GCD
* Some improvements to 1 and 2 limb division
* Better build support for Apple and Sun compilers
* MSVC support
* redc basecase
* exact division by certain constants
* other things

There's been some off list discussion about working on further
assembly optimisation in MPIR. So far only our K8 code is close to
optimal (though still not quite there). Jason Moxham is the guy to
speak to about that. Specifically we don't use our new addmul_2 code
for K8 yet. In the next few releases we'll have better assembly
support for other x86_64 cpus.

Jason and I have been discussing improving the FFT. We think putting
some version of Paul Zimmermann's et al's FFT in MPIR as a stop gap
until the new MPIR FFT is ready is probably sensible. We've been
discussing possible improvements of that.

I'm giving some thought as to whether a polynomial divide and conquer
division algorithm I invented last year can be turned into an integer
version.

I don't know about the other MPIR developers, but I'm not personally
planning on a new release in the next two weeks. But our intention has
generally been to make smaller releases at regular intervals.

Bill.