Both of the algorithms are similarly optimised. Actually Toom 4 is
slightly more optimised than Toom 7.

You may be right, and no "premature decision" has been made. However
it occurs to me that Toom 7 breaks into smaller chunks, so the
multiplications are cheaper.

The crossover is currently 700. Toom 7 breaks into chunks of 100 and
13 multiplies are done. Toom 4 breaks into chunks of 175 and 5
multiplies are done. It seems to me to be quite possible for Toom 7 to
always beat Toom 4, or nearly so purely because of this sort of thing.
I'm not saying this is the case. I'm just saying it may be the case.

We are working on lots of assembly code to optimise Toom 4 and Toom 7.
As for managing the sign/size stuff, I haven't decided whether I want
to do it this way in the long run or not. It has some advantages which
the other method does not. One thing I can say for sure is that the
difference in speed in the generic case is negligible. The other
optimisations we are going to be doing will make a much greater
difference.

Bill.