We should figure out:

1) Does GMP default to Core2 if it can't identify the CPU (as MPIR
1.0.0 does) - I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it defaults to atom.
2) Does it detect the CPU correctly - I think so, in this case at
least, though clearly not in other cases
3) Does it just refuse to use pathcc and insist on gcc

There has to be some simple reason why we have this problem and they don't.

Bill.