I've read through your code carefully, and made a list of things I
want to check out when I merge it. The code looks good, in the sense
that the algorithm obviously works.

I see lots of things that could be optimised, but they are all non-
critical, in my opinion. And given the fact that it won't get all that
much use, for the reasons I pointed out, it really isn't worth
spending too much time optimising it further.

Optimising the root tests themselves would probably be the best way to
do any further optimisation now.

I'm going to be getting back to MPIR coding next week, and whilst it
won't be my number one priority, I'll try to get it merged in a spare
moment.

Thanks again for the contribution.

Bill.