I just tried building MPIR with the latest MSYS on my K8 and no
problems. So something strange is going on I think.

Admittedly I have Vista and not XP.

Also, I note that all 9 of the first 9 tests fail on Peter's machine.
Thus I think it is likely not just a failing test as such, but
something MSYS or XP specific.

Peter can you let us know whether you have Windows Vista or Windows
Vista Professional x64 Edition?

Another thing to do would be to post the file config.log from the top
level directory of the source tree so we can see what it says. It
might help us track down your problem.

Bill.