Hi Dan,

indeed I had inferred that you had done a *lot* of work to track this bug down.

It's not immediately clear how we can cause an error message to be
output if a custom allocator returns non-aligned pointers.

Two possibilities spring to mind:

1) Introduce a make check test which checks that the allocator is
doing what we want. But this relies on the allocator failing to do so
during the test, which I don't see how to provoke.

2) Introduce code to align data coming from custom allocators. This
could probably be done in a handful of cycles per allocation, but
would still introduce an overhead.

I'm open to further suggestions.

Bill.