Just to add to what Brian says. We certainly recognise that the
community values full GMP compatibility more than some other aspects
of the MPIR design criteria, and we have definitely been giving it
more full attention than we used to.

Even so, there are some instances where compatibility will be
impossible, e.g. if bugs exist in GMP, or if GMP defines functions
which we believe are out of scope for the design criteria of MPIR
(e.g. the secure functions Brian mentioned).

However, where possible, we will provide a GMP compatibility mode
which should in 99% of instances, provide full GMP compatibility (this
is currently obtained using --enable-gmpcompat, though we are still
working on our GMP 5 compatible interface, so we are currently only
compatible with GMP 4 - more will be made of this shortly).

In the particular case that you mention, we hope that GMP will
likewise deprecate their functions and provide appropriate alternative
functions as we believe our reasons for deprecation are sound.
However, that is up to them, and if they choose not to, we will
usually provide #defines in gmp compatibility mode so that code
written for GMP still works with MPIR, though admittedly possibly at a
slight performance penalty in some instances, as compared with using
MPIR functions directly.

Bill.