hi,

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 9 April 2010 13:23, Marc <marc.gli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am not sure I understand what is going on with MPIR. When the fork
>> happened, 2 of the main stated goals where:
>> 1) LGPL2 (required for sage+microsoft)
>> --> MPIR is now LGPL3+ only
>
> Correct. Will this create any issues for you?

What are the appealing reasons for this move given one of the initial
arguments for mpir (gmp license changes)?

Reading http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html, I really wonder if this
is a good move. I don't feel comfortable to add the GPL license to the
PHP distribution (see the section 3b, 4b and 4c) as the PHP license is
not compatible with the GPL. Things can get worst as we are testing
mpir to be used with php engine for large integers related operations.

I also have concerns about the legal aspects of the lgpl v3. I know
that the v2 can be used safely but I've a bad feeling about the v3.
Does anyone have more in depth details about the actual changes
between the two?

Cheers,
--
Pierre