hi Bill,

Thanks for the extensive reply, very much appreciated.

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 12 April 2010 11:18, Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:

> The main appeal is that we can use code from GMP without replicating
> their efforts and accept code from developers who want to license
> their code v3+. It basically means less effort for us, and faster
> development times. It means that the bignum community is using a
> single license and is less fragmented.

It makes sense, however I wonder if it is good for mpir users. But it
makes the work easier for mpir developers, that's a sure thing.

I will have to split my reply as it is a rather large topic.

> By "not compatible with the GPL", I assume you mean that you want to
> distribute PHP under terms that are more permissive than the GPL will
> allow.

The GPL does not allow any GPL code to be linked with PHP Licensed
code, at least this restriction up to v2. For v3 there is a debate
about "linkage" and "usage" as in using GPL code in an external
process (calling a cmd line tool for example). But the whole v3 move
(gpl and lgpl) creates a lot of troubles lately for companies and
other OSS projects. The "or later" clause has also been ignored in the
past, but the v3 shows the implications and the direction the gpl
license takes is scary (no offense meant, only writing down my feeling
about the GPL movement for the last decade).

Short reply but other will come in the next days :)

Cheers,
--
Pierre