On Apr 12, 1:59 pm, Cactus <rieman...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> In my view GMP and MPIR are a total mess in software engineering terms
> and I would hence like nothing beeter than to participate in the
> development of a new, well structured multiple precision library under
> aa open source license that provided for commercial use.
>
> The number of comapnies who could benefit from this is very large and
> the individual cost would be small but we have no obvious way of
> orchestrating this.
>
> > It seems to me we have the worst of all worlds. We aren't funded, due
> > to our code being regarded with suspicion by companies who fear we are
> > trying to destroy them. And at the same time companies are free to
> > build their closed source products on top of our Open Source library.
> > Some (not all) of those companies, could definitely afford to fund a
> > project like MPIR, but wont.
>
> I agree. We could build a first class BSD licensed multiple precision
> library given modest sponsorsship. But while some major companies (not
> all) feel they can exploit open source developers whilst making no
> contributions to the development community in return, its hard to see
> this happening.

I confess that I have never contributed code to MPIR, so please weight
my response correspondingly.

I have a profound dislike of the GPL because of its restrictions.  I
can just about live with LGPL 2 but am very, very wary of LGPL 3.  In
this regard I seem to be in good company.  Whenever I distribute
something it is always under a BSD-like license or something even more
permissive, such as renouncing all copyright interest.  However, just
because I give something away I don't see why my recipients should be
forced to follow my philosophy.  After all, they can not prevent me
also giving away my stuff to their competitors if I feel like it.

Here's just one example of how I fell foul of the GPL.  A colleague
wanted to run my code under Cygwin.  I very happily supplied source
code but was unable to provide a pre-compiled binary and had to forbid
him to do the same.  The reason: both of us had only the freeware
version of Cygwin and its license terms dictate that binaries linked
with Cygwin libraries *must* be released under the GPL.  I find it
bizarre, and very sad, that the FSF prevents me from giving away
binaries even though I'm more than willing to give away full
sources.   When I want to give something away I mean it  to be as a
gift, not as a loan.  That's why I'm sold on BSD-like licenses.

It's just possible I may contribute code to a LGPL 2+ library.  In
particular, I'm rather interested in parallel computation, including
GPGPU.  It is very very unlikely that I will contribute to a LGPL 3
library.   It is much more likely that I'll contribute under a BSD-
like license.

I've no idea whether I'm unique or unusual in my views.  It may well
be that a significant number of other developers are also deterred
from contributing to MPIR by the LPGP license.

Paul