On Tuesday 29 June 2010 22:25:44 Cactus wrote:
> On Jun 29, 8:38 pm, Jason Moxham <ja...@njkfrudils.plus.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 25 June 2010 20:16:15 Jason Moxham wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > These cpu's also have no support from gcc , so again I think we should
> > > certainly remove them
> > >
> > > gmicro
> > > i860
> > > ibm032 or 032 or ROMP
> > > uxp or xp fujitsu 32bit vector supercomputer
> >
> > I have removed all traces of the above cpus and I will start to chop out
> > the old OS'es . Note: this does not mean that we will not run under these
> > OS'es , it just means that any special conditions for them are removed .
> > Some of these special conditions are for broken installs or very old
> > versions which were missing certain crucial header files etc , so later
> > versions may work , but I would not count on it , and if they dont then
> > tough :)
> >
> > Thinking about what other changes I would like to make to simplify things
> > a bit , I released that most of the other changes would involve Brian
> > making similar changes to the vcproj files . A few of the simpler name
> > changes I am sure I can do a simple text replacement of the vcproj files,
> > but most of the other stuff would need Brian's involvement. So it seems
> > that the best course forward to avoid this duplication of effort is to
> > get the windows port following the unix one automatically.
>
> The big issue for me here is not making the changes on Windows but in
> working out what has happened on Linux and what this means for the
> Windows build.
>
> If the changes are properly documented before they are done the effort
> would not then be large, albeit a bit tedious tedious.

I will try to post to the list all relevant changes so you can get the heads
up. Some of the changes I will do when I get a spare hour or two , I wouldn't
do them otherwise as they are not terribly important , but it can make work
for you which could be seen as pretty pointless.

> > The justification for simplifying our build system is that 50% of errors
> > are build system related , and unfortunately autotools is a very poor
> > design , it requires you to understand it internals to use it.
> >
> > 1) write our own build system starting with x86 and work thru the other
> > major cpu's/OSes one at a time. This is TOO much work , we are not taking
> > advantage of other peoples work on "boring" stuff , MPIR is about math
> > not build systems.
>
> Much as I would like to see this, I agree that it would involve a huge
> effort.
>
> > 2) We could write a simple script which does a basic build , but it would
> > make windows a second class build environment unless we re-implement most
> > features of a make system.There are two aspects to this , 1) to get the
> > build optimal and 2) be able to debug and develop with windows.
>
> I am not sure about this one as I don't fully understand the
> capabilities you envisage.

I mean a script which would select a code path based on cpu , and then use
cl.exe to compile and link everything in that path. The resultant library
should be just as good for the user , but for the developer many it would be a
pain to use.

> > 3) We could convert to eg) cmake which supports unix and windows , this
> > appears to be the most attractive option , this would take a fair amount
> > of time. cmake produces native vcproj files for windows and makefiles for
> > linux , so both camp's would be in their NATIVE elements.
>
> This is attractive as it would maintain a native Windows build
> capability.
>
> > 4) Get autotools to run NATIVE in windows with MSVC . What I have in mind
> > is really a trick , there are two parts to it , 1) get it use cl.exe
> > instead of gcc.exe 2) hide the fact that we are running under another
> > shell.
> >
> > autotools can run cl.exe , no problem , just like it can run cc or icc ,
> > the options are a little different , but a script can easily take care of
> > that (as long as everything is one-to-one) , once we have this bit , then
> > we could get a MSVC compile under cygwin or minGW . The next stage is to
> > have a "hidden install" of minGW so we can run autotools, (just like we
> > do for yasm under linux).
>
> I am far from convinced that this will provide a decent native Windows
> build.
>
> Turning WIndows into a poor man's version of Linux does not appeal to
> me as it almost always involves abandoning Windows conventions, For
> example, non standard installation directories have to be used to
> avoid spaces in paths whiich almost invaraibly kill Unix tools.
>
> > 5) Just the leave the system as it is.
> >
> > My thoughts are these
> > 1) Insane
>
> Agreed.
>
> > 2) The present configure.bat,make.bat emulate what it would achieve , but
> > would make development on a windows system awkward.
>
> It would be hard to emulate the FAT build but I have often wondered
> whether it would be possible to automate the generation of *.vcproj
> files from Unix makefiles.

I have not considered FAT builds.

> > 3) This seems like the best long term solution , to use a build system
> > which will handle all modern OS'es , but it means a lot of work
>
> I have never used CMAKE but it has a strong following.

I have never used it either :)

> > 4) We should be able to do this with a few weeks hacking
>
> Can it be done without turning Windows into a poor man's Linux?
>
> > 5) Will keep Brian busy :)
>
> That depends on what is now planned :-)
>
> > Note: this does not address the issue that the assembler code for linux
> > and windows are different , but I dont believe this to be a major
> > obstical at the moment.
>
> But the proliferation of assembler is by far the biggest task that I
> face as it petty well always involves a partial rewrite.

I had always assumed it was fairly painless , as you always manage to convert
them within a day or two :)