On Friday 02 July 2010 19:14:15 Cactus wrote:
> On Jul 2, 7:04 pm, Jason Moxham <ja...@njkfrudils.plus.com> wrote:

> > > HI Jason
> > >
> > > I have removed the three prebuild steps you have cahnged and now all
> > > the Windows builds fail with:
> > >
> > >      error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __gmpn_bases
> > >
> > > Where is this symbol supposed to be defined now?
> > >
> > >     Brian
> >
> > You are a bit premature , I have only removed half of them , the other
> > half still to do . I should do it by tomorrow . You might as well leave
> > what you have done for mo . I left it as autotools didn't like it when I
> > removed both , so I need a closer look at it.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Jason- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks Jason - I will wait on your update before trying again.
>
> Do you intend to remove the perfsqr.h prebuild step?

Yep , they are all going :) , should finish the lot this weekend.

>      Brian
>
> I assume I will still haveprebuiid steps

I was thinking of ripping out the path selection code next. This is the code
in configure.in (about 1000 lines) which chooses which mpn asm code to include
and creates symbolic links. We could replace it with a table and a python?
script that we can share between linux and windows , I'm not too sure how this
would fit in with the project files? , but it could enable you to just do just
1
project with the cpu selection done in python. Actually I wont do it next.

Two more cpu's I propose we drop support for

cray
This is the cray vector machines which must be old supercomputers which by now
must be slower that most laptops , so I assume no one still uses them , some
have non-ieee floating point and 48bit ints , so there is quite a lot of
specific code for them. The latest cray machines are x86_86 (or slightly older
alpha's)

vax
This is the 1970/80's minicomputer and according to wikipedia

The VAX architecture was eventually superseded by RISC technology. In 1989 DEC
introduced a range of workstations and servers that ran Ultrix, the DECstation
and DECsystem respectively, based on processors that implemented the MIPS
architecture. In 1992 DEC introduced their own RISC instruction set
architecture, the Alpha AXP (later renamed Alpha), and their own Alpha-based
microprocessor, the DECchip 21064, a high performance 64-bit design capable of
running OpenVMS.
In August 2000, Compaq announced that the remaining VAX models would be
discontinued by the end of the year.[8] By 2005 all manufacturing of VAX
computers had ceased, but old systems remain in widespread use.

Jason