<ja...@njkfrudils.plus.com>wrote:
> > The mulhi and mullo are exact unlike the mulmid , we could do an
> > approximate
> > mulhi which would be marginally faster.
> >
> > Jason
>
> Yes, that would be very nice. I assume approximate mulhi would be give the
> exact result +/- 1?
>
> Fredrik

maybe , I would have to look it up  , basically mulhi goes like this

calculate mul_short (either basecase or divide and conquer)
mul_short is like mul_high but with 2 extra digits calculated , these 2 extra
digits give enough info that the mul_high product is almost always right
except in easy to tell situations . If the product is not an exact mul_high
then just do a full mull.The probability of having to do a full mul is
something like n/2^64 (for n limbs), how far the mul_short differs from
mul_high would be easy to calculate but I dont know what it is (perhaps n?)
I think the sourcecode has all the info , or you can read the relevant paper
which is referenced somewhere.

Jason