On Saturday 14 August 2010 10:03:09 Cactus wrote:
> On Aug 14, 9:00 am, Cactus <rieman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 14, 4:02 am, "jason" <ja...@njkfrudils.plus.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Brian
> > >
> > > I notice that for win64 you have a scipt gen_mpir_h.bat which define's
> > > LONG_LONG_LIMB 1
> > >
> > > Is there any reason you did it this way , rather than at somewhere
> > > before line194 in gmp-h.in
> > > #ifdef _WIN64
> > > #define _LONG_LONG_LIMB 1
> > > #endif
> > >
> > > because for the mingw64  I need to set it anyway.
> >
> > There are several reasons for this, one being a desire to be able to
> > define what I need on Windows without changing files in the MPIR
> > distribution.  This is partly historical and comes from my GMP build
> > at a time when I could not expect TG to allow any Windows changes into
> > gmp_h.in.
> >
> > The second, more important, reason is that this aligns with the
> > intended pre-processing of gmp-h.in, which includes @symbol@ values
> > that are intended for substitution when gmp-h.in is used to build to
> > build gmp.h or mpir.h.   I have to either remove or substitute all
> > these @symbol@ values so it is natural to do the definitions during
> > this process (whiich I assume parallels what happens in the Unix/Linux
> > builds).

pretty much

> > But it turns out that the are significant benefits for the Visual
> > Studio IDE, that can be much faster when such conditionals are not
> > present because its intellisense database, which enables code and
> > symbol browsing in the IDE, background compiles both code paths for
> > conditionals in order to create its database (this is not quite  what
> > it does but it would be hard to explain the full story of how it
> > avoids the combinatorial explosion in code paths).
> >
> > But if you need it in gmp-h.in, I think my script will still work
> > provided all the associated @symbol@ elements in gmp-h.in are removed.
> >
> >      Brian

There is another place it is used.
When running configure (This is before we know how to fill all these @symbols@)
, the configure script compiles a short c prog to test the size of a mp_limb_t
ie output from configure (linux 64bit)
checking for assembler byte directive... .byte
checking how to define a 32-bit word... .long
checking if .align assembly directive is logarithmic... no
checking if the .align directive accepts an 0x90 fill in .text... yes
checking size of unsigned short... 2
checking size of unsigned... 4
checking size of unsigned long... 8
checking size of mp_limb_t... 8                 #######################
creating config.m4
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating mpf/Makefile

I not sure it is strictly necessary , but for the mo we need it . As I rip
autotools to bits , it may not survive.

Todo this is sets the define __GMP_WITHIN_CONFIGURE and just includes gmp-h.in

So I can guard it with the above define , which is not set by MSVC . Although I
may need to set it again for the build , I'll have to try it to find out.